What a difference color makes

I've been obsessing about exterior colors lately. Maybe it's because I've got the Coloring Contest on my mind, eager to see what you will all come up with for the house exterior face lift... (BTW, there's still time to email me for the file to color. Come on, I know you want to give it a shot!)

Surfing the web, I came across a local color consultant who specializes in historically-accurate exterior palettes. Just look at what a difference an appropriate color scheme can make to the appearance of a house and how it's presented:

image source
According to the description, "this 1923 Bungalow is located in a well maintained upscale area of San Diego. While not large in size it carries a great street presence because of the large columns and wide eaves trim. In this gray scheme with heavy trim, the house does not mesh well with the landscape nor with its neighbors."

images source
The home owners wanted wanted a "Head-Turner" color scheme, so the consultant designed a palette of historically-accurate, rich earth tones that stand up well in the bright sun. He adds that having the columns in an off-white allows a subtle highlighting without creating too much contrast. (source)

All I have to say is, "Wow." I rest my case.