Art for 2011: hibiscus flower painting

Happy New Year!! To start out 2011, I thought I'd share a recent art project my friend and I completed when I visited her in Kauai. Everything in her house is enormous, so all the art and furniture has to be to scale...very large! She wanted an over-sized hibiscus flower painting for her gigantic mantel.


We painted this four by four foot canvas in a number of days. Alas, the photos just don't do it justice- somehow, fuchsia just doesn't translate to pixels. Instead, it looks very red; weird. Cue new-fangled camera for X'mas? 

An in-progress shot. See, it really is quite big!

And speaking of big: due to popular request, here is a current shot of Nina. Wish I had a shot of me painting with her on my back in her Ergo baby carrier- she was a great assistant!

What are your goals for 2011? You know, saying them out loud, writing them down, or better yet, declaring them in public (ie this blog!) is a great way to really commit. Not to mention the encouragement and support we can then lend one another.